Environment Design / Bachelors of Design (Honors) in Creative Media
Project 1: Exterior & Landscape
Samuel Keane / 0376236
LECTURES
Lectures were given in class.
At first, I wanted to make a mysterious abandoned shrine inside a forest. Here is my first attempt on it.
 |
| Fig. 3.1, First attempt |
I removed the tree on the left and used the tree on the right as a tool to lead viewers' eyes to the main object. something like that.
 |
| Fig. 3.2, Refining |
Not making much progress, I decided to re-do all my drawing. I searched up some references on Pinterest and Pexels & created a moodboard with PureRef. I wanted to make a chapel/religious building that explains some sort of religion in a fantasy world I am building.
 |
| Fig. 3.3, Moodboard |
Mr. Kannan told me that I need to do a lot of explorations, so before starting the chapel, I did some ideations and thumbnail sketches just to see the shapes I can go with.
 |
| Fig. 3.4, Thumbnail sketches |
The next step is to come up with the design. I decided to combine the elements of sketch 6 and 7.
 |
| Fig. 3.5, Initial design |
Then, values.
 |
| Fig. 3.6, Values |
From this sketch, I made 5 thumbnail sketches.
 |
| Fig. 3.7, Thumbnail sketches for exterior |
Then, I refined the composition and added value, details, and ambiance.
 |
| Fig. 3.8, Exterior compositions |
I ended up choosing the first composition. I tried to do some colors on it
 |
| Fig. 3.9, Colors |
REFLECTIONS
This project taught me the importance of exploration before committing to a final design. My initial shrine concept did not communicate the atmosphere I wanted, so I decided to restart the project instead of forcing the idea. By creating moodboards, thumbnail sketches, and multiple composition studies, I gained a better understanding of shape language, composition, and value design. Overall, this project improved my concept development workflow and showed me the value of experimenting before moving into the rendering stage.
Comments
Post a Comment