Environment Design - Project 2: Interior & Set Design

Environment Design / Bachelors of Design (Honors) in Creative Media
Project 2: Interior & Set Design
Samuel Keane / 0376236


JUMPLINKS


LECTURES

Lectures were given in class.


    INSTRUCTIONS

    MIB


    TASK

    Continuing the project from last task, I quickly gather references and make a moodboard.

    Fig. 3.1, Moodboard

    I started with simple blockouts just to get the overall structure of the interior

    Fig. 3.2, Simple blockout

    I drew on top of the blockout.

    Fig. 3.3, Line art

    I decided to change the altar since It feels awkward and empty. Also, Mr. Kannan told me that the range between the pillars to the wall is too narrow. I redid the whole blockout. I also decided to display the corpse as a crucifix.

    Fig. 3.4, New blockout

    From this blockout (and 4 others which I will show later), I did the compositions for the interior.

    Fig. 3.5, Compositions

    Colored version...

    Fig. 3.6, Compositions

    With the blockout from the 3D model, I made a vertical slice for the interior.

    Fig. 3.6, Vertical slice


    REFLECTIONS

    This project helped me improve my workflow by combining Blender and Photoshop. Using Blender for the blockout made it easier to establish the interior's perspective, proportions, and composition before painting. I also experimented with Photoshop's watercolor brush to create texture and atmosphere while keeping the concept loose and painterly. Overall, I gained a better understanding of using 3D blockouts to support efficient environment design.

    Comments