Art Direction - Final Compilation

22/04/26-21/07/26 (Week 1 - Week 15)
Art Direction / Bachelors of Design (Honors) in Creative Media
Final Compilation
Samuel Keane / 0376236


JUMPLINKS


LECTURES

Lectures were given in class.


    INSTRUCTIONS


    TASK

    Final Compilation

    For the first two weeks, we have to do observation studies which requires us to do research on endless runner games that is available on the market. I decided to do research on Subway Surfers and Jetpack Joyride holy nostalgia.

    We actually have decided on the video game concept before we start doing the observation study. We tried to come up with horror concepts which ultimately lead us to the concept we have now.

    The concept revolves around soldiers and people caught in the crossfire of WW1. I volunteered to work on the character design on this project. Here is my progress throughout the whole semester. This is the first draft of the trio.

    Fig. 3.1, Initial ideation

    After some consideration, I feel like the characters need to be more variative. So, I changed the whole idea completely.

    Character 1 - Gunter Brown

    I tried to make the first character a character with position and status. So, I made him a high-ranking military officer. On the initial ideation, he was illustrated as this tall and lanky guy smoker with almost no intention of living. Here is the update of the character.

    Fig. 3.2, Gunter first draft

    I was not satisfied with this design, since i feel like the build is too muscular for this character. Also, It doesn't look as realistic, so this draft is scrapped. I ended up giving him a less flashier look.

    Born from a wealthy family, Gunter doesn’t really have to try hard to be able to enjoy his life. However, he chose to join the military due to his strong sense of patriotism for his country. He climbed his was up to general title through bribing.

    Fig. 3.3, Gunter final design

    Character 2 - Cillian Thomas Fletcher

    On the first draft of the ideation, I tried to make the second character, more like a main character out of the trio. However, I feel like he doesn't have too much interesting feature. so, tried to make him the opposite of the first character. He looks more miserable, worn out, sluggish, and looks like he is in pain.

    Fig. 3.4, Cillian first draft

    I scrapped the first draft, again, because he looks too cartoonish and exaggerated. Long hair, bad posture, hiding from people with his scarf. It's just not a good design for a soldier. here is another character selection pose for Cillian I made before changing his design.

    Fig. 3.5, Cillian character select

    This is the second draft.

    Fig. 3.5.2, Cillian second draft

    This is the final look. I made Cillian to still have the tired look on his face. However, I'd say its more realistic and doesnt have that cartoony look on him. Also, I added elements to make him look more worn out and tired.

    Fig. 3.6, Cillian final look

    This is the character selection pose.

    Fig. 3.6.2, Cillian seated pose

    Lastly, I made the first person perspective view for the gameplay.

    Fig. 3.6.3, Cillian first person

    Character 3 - Elizabeth Herr Schmidt

    At first, I planned to make elizabeth one of the soldiers in military. But, I think it's pretty unrealistic since she is a woman (no intention of being misogynistic) and I just want to diversify their backgrounds.

    The initial idea is to make her a twisted tired psychopatic girl but i feel like its too edgy and cringe and too anime-ish so i changed the narrative.

    Fig. 3.6, Elizabeth first look

    I changed all of the first ideation, I made her more like a survivor, trying to escape the harsh battlefield. Here is the final attempt of the design. I tried to make her look more stressed and overall more human, while keeping her tired look.

    Fig. 3.7, Elizabeth final look

    Final Presentation

    After compiling all of my works and combine it with my friend's work, here is the final output.


    REFLECTIONS

    Throughout the whole project, I actually learned more about character design and how to do renders and coloring on clothing. There were some disagreements throughout the whole process, even some friendly aarguments and miscommunication that sometimes leads us to confusion, which made me also understand more about teamwork and people's character in general. In the end, I am very grateful to be able to take part in this project along with my friend Brendan, Chika, and Jayson.

    Comments