Digital Matte Painting / Bachelors of Design (Honors) in Creative Media
Exercise
Samuel Keane / 0376236
JUMPLINKS
3. TASK
LECTURES
Lectures were given in class.
INSTRUCTIONS
TASK
Exercise: Fundamentals of Matte Painting
The first exercise we have to make for the fundamentals is just to learn perspective lines.
![]() |
| Fig. 3.1, Perspective drawings |
We also have to draw perspective lines on actual photos we take or just search it online.
![]() |
| Fig. 3.2, Perspective lines |
Then, we also have to do composition studies, along with values. I decided to make a high fantasy landscape with castles and rocky mountains.
![]() |
| Fig. 3.2, Value & Composition |
![]() |
| Fig. 3.2, Value & Composition |
Then, the 2.5d matte. This is really fun to do since I have a little bit of fun working with After Effects.
| Fig. 3.3, Process |
Next is the virtual plein air. I had the most fun but also the most trouble working on it. I mean, just look at these layers hahahah.
| Fig. 3.4, Layers |
Here is the final output.
| Fig. 3.4, Virtual plein air |
![]() |
| Fig. 3.5, Invisible set extension |
REFLECTIONS
Throughout this exercise, I learned the core fundamentals of digital matte painting, from perspective and composition to value studies and photo manipulation. Understanding perspective lines helped me create scenes that feel more believable, while studying composition and values taught me how to guide the viewer's attention and establish a clear focal point.
Working on sky replacement and the 2.5D matte painting also gave me a better understanding of how different elements can be combined seamlessly to create a convincing environment. Using After Effects for the 2.5D projection was particularly enjoyable, as it introduced me to a new way of adding depth and movement to static images.
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment